Frequently Asked Questions

  • Degree Results Open or Close

    "I will not know my degree result until the end of June, is it still worth me applying?

    You may still submit an application pending your degree result.  An offer of a place would be conditional on the successful completion of your degree at the required level. You must present confirmation of your verified Degree result prior to starting the course.

  • Maths and Literacy Assessments Open or Close

    " Is it correct that I have to pass Professional Skills Tests before I can start the course?"

    No. For courses starting after 1 April 2020, the DfE has removed the requirement to pass the nationally set literacy and numercy professional skills tests.  However, we have to ensure that all of our trainees have the fundamental skills in these areas prior to awarding them their QTS status.  Therefore, upon acceptance of any offer made to you, you will be required to take literacy and numeracy assessments, however, these will not form any conditions of offer. Depending upon your skills and knowledge, you may be required to take additional assessments throughout the course.   

  • Travel Open or Close

    "How far am I expected to travel?"

    The majority of the Central Professional Studies programme is delivered at the Teaching Education Centre (TEC) in Royal Wootton Bassett and the majority of our partnership schools are within a 40 minute drive of here.  Some sessions may also be delivered virtually or at one of local partnership schools.

    Subject development training takes place at the school of your Subject Lead Tutor, which is one of our partnership schools.

    When placing trainees in schools, we do as far as possible take into consideration where you live and aim to place trainees within a 30-45 minute drive away from their home address.  Trainees are responsible for their own travel arrangements.


    "Do I have to travel to Bath Spa University for my PGCE?"

    There is no need for your to travel to Bath Spa University, as all resources are available online on their Minerva system.  Whilst you are a registered student at Bath Spa and you can use their facilities if you wish to do so, all PGCE tutorials will take place either at our North Wiltshire SCITT training office, one of our Partnership Schools or virtually.

  • Do I get paid? Open or Close

    There is no salary with a SCITT course.  It is a tuition-fee course and the course fee from 2021 is £9250.


    SCITT trainees can apply for funding through the Student Loan Company or if bursary funding is available to you, you can choose to pay your fees from this.


    Information on funding for teacher training can be found here:


    Bursary information can be found here:



  • School Placements Open or Close

    "Who will organise my school placement?"

    The NWSCITT will be responsible for securing you an appropriate school to support your training as a teacher. 


    "Where will my placement school be?"

    We take into consideration your home address and always try to find you a placement school which is within 30 - 45 minutes drive away. The placements available to us vary every year and we can not gaurantee you a particular school.  However, we are always happy to consider any suggestions you make of potential schools willing to host trainees.

    You will have 2 different placement schools across 3 placement periods.*

    Placement 1 - this will be your Host Placement School.  You will be here from September until December. 

    Placement 2 - this will be your Complementary Placement School.  You will be here from January until approximately Easter (approximately 10 weeks).  The aim of this placement is to provide you with a contrasting school experience.

    Placement 3 - you will return to your original Host Placement School from after Easter until the end of the course. 

     *subject to Covid and any necessary course amendments due to restrictions or impact of Covid on the course programme. 

    "When will I find out which school I will be going to?"

    We aim to provide trainees with details of their Host Placement School during their Induction Day in July, at the latest.  This is to allow trainees to make initial contact with their school mentor and arrange to visit their new school. 

  • What Qualification will I gain? Open or Close

    By the end of the course, you will have gained your Qualfied Teacher Status (QTS) plus your PGCE with 60 Masters Credits (a Level 7 qualification).  This counts towards a full Master's degree (180 credits) should you wish to persue this at a later date. 

    To obtain your PGCE, you must have successfully submitted and passed the 3 assignments set by Bath Spa University.

  • Where do I study? Open or Close

    "Where will my training take place?"

    You will spend a lot of time training in your placement schools.  However, you will also undertake professional and subject specific studies at North Wiltshire SCITT, in Royal Wootton Bassett, Wiltshire. 


    "Will I have to go to Bath Spa University?"

    No.  All of the PGCE assignments are launched either at NW SCITT or at one of our partnership schools.   However, as you are registered at Bath Spa University, you are more than welcome to use their facilities.  Information regarding your PGCE can be accessed on their Minerva student portal. 

  • Change of Address Open or Close

    "Do I need to tell you if I change my address?"

    Please tell us as soon as possible if you change your address, even if it is prior to the course starting.  Your school placements will be influenced by this. 

  • Qualifications Required Open or Close

    " What qualifications do I need to become a Secondary Teacher?"

    You will require the following qualifications:

    GCSE Maths and English Grade C / 4 or higher  (or equivalent)

    A Degree, preferrably 2:2 or higher.

    An A-level is also preferred, but not essential.  There are additional requirements for Social Science and Modern Languages.  Please see our Seconday courses page for more information. 


    "What qualifications do I need to become a Primary Teacher?"

    You will require the following qualifications:

    GCSE Maths, English and Science  Grade C / 4 or higher  (or equivalent)

    A Degree, preferrably 2:2 or higher

    Please see our Primary Course page for more information.


    "My degree is a 3rd class degree. Can I still apply?"

    Whilst we prefer our trainees to have gained at least a 2:2 degree, it is still possible for you to apply, especially if you have lots of relevant work experience and demonstrate your desire to teach in your chosen area. 


    "Are my overseas qualifications suitable?"

    If you have non-UK qualifications, you will need to ensure that they are equivalent to UK GCSE and degree grades.  You can apply for qualification comparison at UK ENIC  


    "Is my Level 2 Functional Skills Test Acceptable?"

    Sorry, but this is not an acceptable qualification for our courses.  You will need to complete your GCSE or take an equivalency test.  

    NWSCITT only accept Equivalency Tests from the following recognised organisations:

    Unfortunately, if you have an Equivalency Test from another provider, this will not be accepted and you will be required to retake it from one of the above providers.

    Please note that Equivalency Tests are only suitable for those candidates who have previously attempted a GCSE.  If you have not previously attempted a GCSE, we will require you to take a full GCSE qualification.

    If you are unsure, please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..


    "Are by BTEC qualifications acceptable?"

    Please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to discuss your qualification. 

    Please note that for BTEC Level 1 / 2 Award Application of Science & BTEC Level 1 / 2 Award Principles of Science: This is only accepted if both qualifications have been awarded at Level 2, Merit or higher.


    "Do you accept Applied Science?"

    Unfortunately, we do not accept GCSE Applied Science on it's own. You will need at least 1 more single science GCSE (grade c/4 or higher) or take an Equivalency Test.  Please contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to discuss your qualifications in more detail.


    "I am waiting for my GCSE /Equivalency Test result, can I still apply?"

    Yes! you are more than welcome to apply, however, we will require formal verfication of your result prior to you starting the course.


Go To Top